31/07/2010

A blissfully indulgent breakfast

I am in recovery from a blissfully indulgent breakfast. It's holding me prisoner in a dream-like happy limbo. I don't want to move on from this moment. It's sort of like when you wake up from a really great sleep but you refuse to open your eyes because you're not quite ready to get up and face the world. So, I sit in this beautiful spot that I've claimed as my own - perched on a hillside, over-looking a luscious valley of trees and tumbling hills, with the morning sunshine caressing my face and a symphony of birdsong filling me with joyful energy...recovering. It feels like time is holding its breath and I have been rendered helpless in its palm. My breakfast is simple yet captivating - the way some women look when they just wake up, I imagine. Plums, melon, banana and grapes, refreshingly juicy and sweet. Warm crusty French bread with butter and honey oozing through the cracks. I like eating messy food - it makes me feel like a child as I happily lick my fingers. And, muesli with hot, frothy milk, spreading warmth to the very tips of me. I can't think of a better way to start the day. I want to wrap this moment up in a handkerchief and carry it around with me for emergency moments, such as rush hour on the Victoria Line. But, I think all I need do is re-create my simple breakfast, close my eyes and eat, allowing my mind to take me where I want to be...


2 comments:

  1. Warm crusty French bread with butter and honey! I normally just use crumpet as a substitute. Fran, everything normal becomes special in your blog, makes me want to try them in your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote: "perched on a hillside, over-looking a luscious valley of trees and tumbling hills, with the morning sunshine caressing my face and a symphony of birdsong filling me with joyful energy...recovering"

    ReplyDelete