20/03/2010

Banana Bread Cockaigne

The streets of Paris are lined with boulangeries, exactly the way I imagine Heaven to be. One has to wonder how Parisians manage to stay so slim when fresh bread and pastries beckon them at every street corner. I was completely seduced and did not hold back - life is too short to cut out carbs!

So, it seems only natural that my recent trip to Paris has inspired me to start baking my own bread. And, since I have a knack for acquiring over-ripe bananas, I have decided to perfect the art of baking banana and walnut bread. At this very moment, I am inhaling delicious lungfuls of bread aroma issuing from my first attempt. My stomach is purring in anticipation for what I hope will be a delightful Saturday morning treat.

I used a recipe from 'The Joy of Cooking' - an encyclopedia of everything related to food. It is certainly a joy to read but there is one slight drawback - the measurements are American - and this proved somewhat problematic. For example, how does one accurately measure a tablespoon of butter? Also, the recipe bizarrely calls for the flour, salt and baking powder to be whisked - an instruction I have never before come across and chose to ignore*.

My batter looked disturbingly cement mix-like. However, something magical must have happened in the oven as, 1 hour later, my optimism was rewarded with a picture-perfect loaf. I have to say, nothing feels more wholesome than baking your own bread. Having indulged myself in several soft and moist slices (some, with lashings of butter), I have determined that the bread is not quite sweet enough or banana-like for my taste. Next time, I will try using 1 egg, 1 cup of sugar and 4 bananas instead. I will keep you updated on my progress. This is going to be a tasty and satisfying experiment!

The recipe

Have all the ingredients at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350F (~180c). Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan (I used butter). Whisk together 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoons salt. Beat in a large bowl at medium speed until creamy 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup or 6 tablespoons softened butter and 3/4 teaspoons grated lemon zest. Beat in 1 to 2 large beaten eggs and 2 to 3 mashed bananas. Add the dry ingredients in about 3 parts, beating until smooth after each addition. Fold in if desired 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Scrape the batter into the greased pan. Bake the bread for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool slightly, then unmould. Cool completely before slicing.

*Although, I do wonder if this is to effectively lighten the flour or thoroughly mix together the ingredients. Your thoughts and ideas on these issues would be most welcome!

5 comments:

  1. yum! so this is the one, looks really really good. in the meanwhile my chinese dessert skill has also been improved.

    p.s. i went to princi again today, had the apply cookie, it's really nice, not fatty at all, will go for it again next time, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures look very well taken! ;o) But just curious... isn't it supposed to be called 'Banana Cake'? That IS what we ate when we were younger......... hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Americans have very strange methods for cooking :)
    Try sifting the flour next time, it gives it a lighter texture. Try this web site for butter conversions.
    http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/butter_converter.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!

    This is the name given in the cook book I used. But, cockaigne does mean cake.

    The butter conversion website is fantastic. I'll definitely try sifting the flour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this post! It had everything I wanted to know about your experience. ^_^

    ReplyDelete