04/03/2010

Cook, eat and run!

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of experiencing a unique cooking class for my birthday - cook (and eat) your own lunch with a professional chef in just 30 minutes! This deliciously fun idea, known as L'en cas*, has been brought over from Paris. And, it was every bit as stylish.

The class took place at culinary school, L'atelier des Chefs**, which offers a variety of hands-on classes from 'Dinner in an hour' to 'Grande Cuisine Masterclass'. I was immediately impressed and won over by the chic decor and sleek kitchen, which added to my you-are-special-and-deserve-this-fabulous-treat feeling.


Lunch of the day was
Thai-style chicken and mango curry with
basmati rice*** - a perfect remedy to my winter blues. Our chef, Andre Dupin, skillfully demonstrated how to prepare the fresh and exotic ingredients. To my pleasure, I learned the artful way of deseeding a chilli (cut off the top and rub it in your hands as if starting a fire with a stick) . Never again shall I scrape out the seeds with a knife!

The class was quite fast-paced but I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere. For a moment, I felt like a real chef in a restaurant kitchen. And, even though I cook all the time, my heart swelled with pride as I plated my creation. Sweet mango and fragrant coriander played with hot chillies and tangy ginger in my mouth. It was a creamy coconut dream. I will definitely be back at L'atelier des Chefs for more...





* 'In case' (?)


**19 Wigmore Street, London W1U 1PH/0207 499 6580/info@atelierdeschefs.co.uk

*** recipe will be posted asap!

7 comments:

  1. So this was a one- off booking/ event? A v. useful idea for something like a mother's day present although much like yours she's v. much accustomed to the "no-measurements" school of cooking so may not be quite so willing to take to the regiment-styled-teaching however she likes to be quite experimental with her cooking (with sometimes disastrous outcomes such as putting thick slivers of ginger in pansit- yuck!)... furthermore, this might just be the catalyst to start taking some classes myself as I have always had an underlying yearning to discipline and further my passion for cooking... hopefully in the near future... when I have a job... when I find the time (official status: nearly truly inspired)! And finally, as your brother said you may be a little dismayed on realisation and therefore I pre-empt an apology but felt strongly obliged to inform you have misspelt photograp'h'y...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, this would make a great Mother's Day present, especially the class that I went to (Cook, Eat and Run) as there wasn't any measuring involved. It was pretty instinctual i.e. a bit of this and some of that...But, there are some great classes that you could take too (when your working again)! I'm particularly tempted by the knife skills class.

    Thanks for the heads up! A little dismayed but glad someone's reading my blog thoroughly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. um...yes...i would like to do this when i come visit...is it possible? this sounds so fun! knife skills sounds fabulous to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! There are lots of different classes that we can choose from. Have a look at the website and let me know what appeals to you - www.atelierdeschefs.co.uk. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg the chocoholics class looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocoholics?! That sounds perfect :) But, I couldn't find that class on the website. Will you send me the link?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I wanted to make this today and I looked for the recipe, but you never posted it! *grumble* *grumble*

    ReplyDelete