09/03/2010

Dining at Chez Cho's

Before I begin extolling the wonders of Chez Cho's, I feel it's only fair to warn you that this is not a restaurant at which you can enjoy the delicious food that I am about to describe. My conscience is slightly burning with guilt but I just had to share my meal from last night with you...metaphorically speaking of course.

Chez Cho's is what my friends and I affectionately term the pleasure and privilege of dining at the home of our friend, whom I shall somewhat predictably name, Chef Ch
o. It's not just the food of fine dining quality that makes this such a special treat. I delight in having a front row seat at the stage that is the kitchen where the magic happens and I am transformed into a little child constantly asking "what's that?"

We began the night with an exquisite salad comprising slithers of marinated beetroot topped with goat's cheese, piped on top to resemble the iced gems of my childhood, with rocket and beetroot batons, generously drizzled in a sweet dressing of concentrated beetroot juice, red wine vinegar and toasted pine nuts. It was almost too pretty to consume. Almost...

Next, an experimental dish that I have been dying to try ever since I indulged myself by purchasing a jar of truffle honey at Borough Market*. What better use could be found than to slather it onto thick slabs of well-seasoned pork chops? The honey truffle jus was so good that I could have drank it from the roasting tin. Instead, I generously poured it over my juicy piece of meat and assortment of vegetables, prepared using professional techniques with French names that refuse to remain in my memory.


The pièce de résistance was dessert - a light and fluffy, yet sumptuous, chocolate soufflé. I learned that the secret to getting them to rise is to relentlessly whip the egg yolks and caster sugar, occasionally doing so over a saucepan of simmering water**. We held our breaths whilst excitedly watching them rise in the oven, as if observing the growth of an array of little mushrooms in real time. They were the perfect end to a perfect meal. I wish that everyone could have the pleasure of dining at Chez Cho's. But, with a little determination and practice (for those of you who don't often cook), these seemingly complicated dishes can be easily re-created in your home. It's undoubtedly worth a try.



* the truffles are placed in the jar infusing the honey with its deep and wonderful flavour.

** apparently, most cookbooks fail to point out that if you continously whip the mixture over the saucepan of simmering water, the eggs will cook! A fine balance of whipping them on and off the heat is required in order to get them to volumise correctly.

3 comments:

  1. Francesca! What a cute post and blog! You write so well and the photos are fab! My compliments to the chef as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that "for those of you who don't often cook" a reference to anyone in particular?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheeky :) Actually, a multitude of names come to mind - I want to inspire everyone!

    ReplyDelete